The Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire LEP City Deal, Powerhouse Central, is based on four connected strands:
- Delivering a new and local approach to energy production.
- Providing local and incoming businesses with support to develop the next generation of products and materials.
- Developing local sites for new businesses or existing business to expand into, along with a strengthened local planning and development context.
- Bringing employers and education together to ensure residents have the skills and training that they and our businesses need to drive the economy forward.
To achieve this, City Deal partners have made good progress across a range of projects:
- We have initiated a major energy programme that includes a District Heat Network in the City of Stoke-on-Trent, a Smart Energy Network Demonstrator at Keele University, and opportunities for energy provision at strategic employment locations. We have also set up a Low Carbon Task Force, in cooperation with the Chambers of Commerce.
- We delivered a joint Innovative Growth in Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire investment programme and a Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire Business Support Programme, which provided funding and support to encourage growth among local businesses in priority sectors, on track to create over 700 jobs.
- We conducted a pilot for the improved alignment of learner demand and employer need through increased local control of the Skills Funding Agency’s Adult Skills Budget and have completed the phased development of Advanced Manufacturing Training Hubs providing state-of-the-art equipment.